Top rentals
Novi Sad
Hostel Rookies
Novi Sad

Roman Catholic Church Name of Mary, Novi Sad

The Name of Mary Cathedral is located in the centre of Novi Sad, at the Trg Slobode square.
During the first decades of the eighteenth century, a temporary Catholic church was built here, but it was destroyed by the year of 1742. It was replaced by a new one, which was set on fire and its tower was destroyed in 1849, during the bombing. The cathedral was then restored, but Catholics of Novi Sad were not satisfied with the new one’s appearance, so the decision was made on the demolition of the existing and creation of a new one in 1891.

The main architect Georg Molnar designed it without seeking financial compensation, helping the church and the town in this way.
The steeple, which is over 72 meters high, was finished in 1894. There is a consecrated golden cross on top of it.
The church has four altars. In the main one there is an image of the Mother of God and of the Hungarian kings and saints, Ištvan and Laslo. To the left, there is an altar dedicated to the Resurrection of Jesus. Near the third altar there are figures of St. Emeric and St. Elizabeth and the altar is dedicated to St. Florian, patron saint of firefighters. The fourth altar is below the choir and is dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre.